1. a colourless, transparent, odourless, liquid which forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms.
- water as supplied to houses or commercial establishments through pipes and taps.
- one of the four elements in ancient and medieval philosophy and in astrology (considered essential to the nature of the signs Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces).
- the water of a mineral spring as used medicinally for bathing in or drinking.
- a solution of a specified substance in water.
3. pour or sprinkle water over (a plant or area) in order to encourage plant growth
4. give a drink of water to (an animal).
5. take a fresh supply of water on board (a ship or steam train).
6. dilute or adulterate (a drink, typically an alcoholic one) with water.
Plural noun: Waters
Verb forms: Water, Watered, Watered.
Give me a glass of water.