Suppressing is a gerund or present participle for a word "SUPPRESS."
Suppress- 1. Forcibly put an end to.
2. Prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain.
3. Prevent the dissemination of (information).
4. Prevent or inhibit (a process or reaction).
5. Partly or wholly eliminate (electrical interference).
6. Consciously inhibit (an unpleasant idea or memory) to avoid considering it.
The newly elected leader was successful in suppressing the violence.