1. The main body or stalk of a plant or shrub, typically rising above ground but occasionally subterranean.
2. A long, thin supportive or main section of something.
3. The root or main part of a word, to which inflections or formative elements are added.
4. The main upright timber or metal piece at the bow of a ship, to which the ship's sides are joined at the front end.
5. Originate in or be caused by.
6. Remove the stems from (fruit or tobacco leaves).
7. (Of a boat) make headway against (the tide or current).
Plural Noun: Stems
Verb form: Stem, Stemmed, Stemmed
The stem of the tree was 80 ft high.