1. The part of a plant which attaches it to the ground or to a support, typically underground, conveying water and nourishment to the rest of the plant via numerous branches and fibres.
2. The basic cause, source, or origin of something.
3. A number or quantity that when multiplied by itself, typically a specified number of times, gives a specified number or quantity.
4. A user account with full and unrestricted access to a system.
5. Cause (a plant or cutting) to grow roots.
6. Establish deeply and firmly.
7. Cause (someone) to stand immobile through fear or amazement.
8. Gain access to the root account of (a smartphone or computer).
9. (Of an animal) turn up the ground with its snout in search of food.
Plural Noun: Roots
Verb form: Root, Rooted, Rooted
Don't exterminate the root.