1. Each of four equal or corresponding parts into which something is or can be divided.
2. One-fourth of a pound weight (avoirdupois, equal to 4 ounces).
3. The haunches or hindquarters of a horse.
4. A part of a town or city having a particular character or use.
5. The direction of one of the points of the compass, especially as a direction from which the wind blows.
6. Rooms or lodgings, especially those allocated to people in military or domestic service.
7. Pity or mercy shown towards an enemy or opponent who is in one's power.
8. Range over or traverse (an area) in every direction.
9. Be stationed or lodged in a specified place.
Plural Noun: Quarters
Verb forms: Quarter, Quartered, Quartered
The population of my city is reduced by a quarter.