1. Used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified.
2. Used to identify a person.
3. Used in the normal subject position in statements about time, distance, or weather.
4. Used in the normal subject or object position when a more specific subject or object is given later in the sentence.
5. Used to emphasize the following part of a sentence.
6. The situation or circumstances; things in general.
7. Exactly what is needed or desired.
8. (In children's games) the player who has to catch the others.
9. Denoting a person or thing that is exceptionally fashionable, popular, or successful at a particular time.